Thursday 1 August 2013

The Adventure Is About To Begin

It must be about three weeks now since the last children walked out the Year 4 classroom at Dolphin School to enjoy their summer holidays. For them, the chance to get away from the daily demands of Maths, English and an ever-growing choice of other excellent Primary School subjects. For me, the opportunity to watch cricket, visit friends, rent out my house and start planning for the next installment of teaching.  For most of you who're still reading this, you'll realise that I am about to embark on a new teaching job in the sunny city of Tirana. This is not awfully near to Battersea, although if you're using a world map, the two places are virtual neighbours. 

On August 19 I will leave my home for twelve years in Bromley and start the 1450 mile drive to Albania. This will take me through the exotic stretches of the M20 to Dover, the unique ferry to Calais and then the journey south through France, Italy and then on another ferry to Durres in Albania. From there the road points east as I drive into Tirana and to the suburb called Schoze.

So far, I have had meetings with the Albania Embassy. I have rung the Inland revenue, spoken to my GP, applied for a police certificate, had a new gas certificate, thrown away my old television, spoken to insurance brokers and there is still a long list of essential jobs to be completed.  I do, however, have a place to live in Albania. It is a house a street away from the pastor of the Light of the World Church. It is 2-bedroomed and spacious with a garden. There is plenty of room for visitors, but as yet no furniture.

Over the next two weeks, I will put the finishing touches to the plans. I will visit charity shops with donations, fill bags with essential items only and check that the new tenants are happy. Then the journey will really begin.  If you would like to join me on this adventure, then please read the blog and let me know what you like and what I should leave out. It should be very very exciting.

Love

Steve xxxx

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere, Steve. Good words, shame about the colour (but that can be fixed). I look forward to hearing of your adventures and holding you in my prayers over the next twelve months. Who knows, I might even get out and see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you are all geared up and ready to go. Amazed to hear how much there is to do in preparation! You must have quite a to do list of essential tasks.
    Will miss our chats about the football and cricket. Bit of a damp squib of a way to hold onto the ashes, and a good job too from the way the recent performances have gone! Was pleased Ipswich got a win under their belts yesterday but I bet James wasn't.
    Look forward to keeping in touch. Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steve, good to hear from you. Shame that won't be able to see you in person before you leave. However, I am happy that you found tenants for your place! Safe travel and have fun in the new adventure! Take good care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogland. You know that we are going to miss you, but are excited to be able to follow your journey in this new phase of life as you follow Christ's leading. And, mentioning journey, hope that you have a safe journey starting early tomorrow morning and eventually arrive safely. x

    ReplyDelete